How to Create an Applicant Tracking System in 1 Minute
It is not always easy to find the most suitable candidates for your company's open positions. But wait a minute, it's really easy right now. Do not get lost among dozens of job applications, easily organize and compare your candidates, collaborate with the other teams and ensure the fittest match for your company's open positions with the easiest way of applicant tracking.
We'll start step by step for you. Let's see how!
Prepare Your Job Application Questions
First, identify the questions you want to ask your candidates. We have prepared an applicant tracking spreadsheet example for you. You can easily customize your recruitment questions by copying this spreadsheet template on your Retable workspace.
Customize Your Question Types
Then decide the format in which you want to receive your answers. For example; if you need your candidate's e-mail address, you do not want an irrelevant value to be written in this area. To prevent incorrect data entry on your applicant tracking spreadsheet you can specify your question type directly as an email. Thus, you can prevent entering a different value other than email in this field.
So, what other question types do we have? Let's take a quick look.
Retable Column Types
- Text: Text column type is for the fields where you want text input on your spreadsheet. You can customize it as a multi-line or single line.
- Number: The number column type allows number entry. You can customize it as an integer or decimal. You can also allow negative numbers if you wish.
- Checkbox: You can think of it as a simple yes-no option. When you select the checkbox column type, you can see that a checkbox is created in your form and spreadsheet. Data entry is not allowed in this field.
- Image: Image column type allows you to add images which can then be viewed or downloaded.
- Attachment: The attachment column type allows you to add images, documents, or other files on your form and spreadsheet which can then be viewed or downloaded. For example, you can easily collect your candidates' CVs.
- Calendar: The calendar column type allows you to enter a date (e.g. 11/12/2013) or pick one from a calendar. You can customize your date format as you wish. For example; European, US, ISO. You can also activate the "include time" option to allow time selection.
- Color column type allows you to pick a color for your spreadsheet cell.
- Email: The email column type allows you to enter a valid email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). It helps you for scenarios where you want to prevent data entry other than email on your form and spreadsheet.
- Phone Number: The phone number column type allows you to enter a telephone number (e.g. (415) 555-9876). It helps you for scenarios where you want to prevent data entry other than a phone number on your form and spreadsheet.
- Percent: Percent column type add % to your numbers. It automatically adds a % sign when you enter a number value in this type of column on your spreadsheet.
- Select: Select column type allows you to select from the options you specified. No data entry is allowed in this field, only a selection from the options is allowed. Multiple selections allow you to select one or more predefined options.
- Reference Another Table: Reference another table column type allows you to show other spreadsheet table's data in this table.
- Lookup Values: The lookup values column type allows you to lookup for other values from the referenced spreadsheet table.
- Autonumber: Autonumber column type automatically generates a unique, automatically incremented number for each record of your spreadsheet table.
- Currency: The currency column type is a specific type of number field that formats the number as a currency amount. You can specify your currency symbol. You can also allow negative numbers if you want.
- Rating: The rating column type allows you to add rating stars to your spreadsheet table. You can change the maximum value of your rating. No data entry is allowed in this column type, only evaluation can be made by stars.
- Collaborator: You can assign the rows or cells to your colleagues with this column type. If you wish, you can select more than one collaborator by allowing multiple selections.
- Created Time: Created time column type automatically shows the date and time the spreadsheet record was created. Data entry is not allowed in this field. If you wish, you can customize the date format just like the calendar column type.
- Created By: Created by column type automatically shows the user who created the spreadsheet record. Data entry is not allowed in this field.
- Last Modified Time: Last modified time column type automatically shows the date and time that the spreadsheet record was modified. Data entry is not allowed in this field. If you wish, you can customize the date format just like the calendar column type.
- Last Modified By: Last modified by column type automatically shows the user who last modified the spreadsheet record. Data entry is not allowed in this field.
- URL: URL column type allows you to enter a URL. It is not allowed to enter a value other than a URL.
Well, we took a quick look at Retable spreadsheet column types. Now, it's time to integrate your applicant tracking process into your spreadsheet. For example; You may want to specify your HR specialist who will evaluate the applicant and assign the candidate to him. The "Collaborator" column type will meet your need at this point as you can see in our template example.
You may also want to see the steps of your candidate's evaluation process on a single spreadsheet. For this, choose the "Select" column type and specify your evaluation steps as options.
It can be a difficult process to note the dates you will interview your candidates, remember all the dates and try to avoid conflicts. To deal with it, the “Calendar” column type will help you. You can select the calendar column type to easily view your meeting dates and times on a single spreadsheet.
Quick Tip: If you activate the "Include Time" option, you can easily determine the time you will interview your candidate. In addition, if you activate the "Unique" option, you can prevent interview conflicts by getting a warning on the same date and time entries.
Invite Your Teammates
As you see in the examples, you can create all the applicant tracking processes you need on your Retable dashboard, invite your teammates to the spreadsheets and work together with your entire HR team.
Bonus: By managing your team's permissions, you can prevent unauthorized access to your spreadsheets.
Create Your Application Form
Now it's time to convert your applicant tracking table to application form. Here is the easiest part!
- Click on the "Share" button
- Activate the "Form View" option
- Click on the "Edit and Preview Form" section
- Customize your form title, form description, and form image.
- Mark the questions you want to be required
- If you wish, add a description to your questions to help your candidates.
- Customize your questions for your candidates without breaking the format of your spreadsheet. For example; You may want to show the "Applicant Name" column as "Name & Surname" to your candidate.
- Hide the columns that you don't want your candidate to see.
- And save the form!
Ta-da, that's all. 🎉
Now view your application form in preview mode and test it. You will see your response reflected in your applicant tracking table in real-time.
You can embed the link of your form in your website as HTML or share the form link with your candidates.
You can customize the applicant tracking spreadsheet template we created for you as you wish and start using it in seconds.
Here it is: https://app.retable.io/project/AGoeAmKPeYO7hyPT
Now is the time to run an easy and fast applicant tracking process and sit back, take it easy!
Online Project Management Software: How to Find the Best One?
Finding the right online project management software is one of the most challenging things. There are too many options, and finding the best project management software for your business is really challenging. Check this article to find your way!
New Features Released for Retable Online Spreadsheets
At Retable, we are constantly looking to develop and improve the services we offer to our clients. One of the best ways for us to make our clients’ lives easier and to help them work smarter, faster and more efficiently, is to ask them what it is they want from us.
Analytics that matter.
Plan, engage, and analyse with ease. Transform your social media strategy with an all-in-one platform.